Recipe from the Chef Naledi Preparation Time: 1 Hour Serves: 5 Ingredients : 10 lamb tails...
Lamb shank shepherd’s pie
Preparation Time : 1 hour Cooking Time : 4 hours Serves : 8
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) white wine
- 3 cups (750ml) tomato purée
CHEESY POTATO TOPPING:
- 1.6kg potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream
- 30g unsalted butter
- 140g cheddar, coarsely grated
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium-high heat. Season lamb all over and add to the pan. Cook, turning for 8-10 minutes until browned all over. Set aside. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, spices and bay leaves to the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables start to soften. Add white wine and scrape the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon.
- Return lamb to the pan, add puree, 2 cups (500ml) water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 3 hours 30 minutes to 4 hours or until meat is falling off the bone. Remove lamb and set aside. Skim off excess fat from sauce then increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 15-20 minutes until thickened. Shred meat into large chunks, discarding any fat, sinew and bones. Add meat to sauce, season to taste and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for the cheesy potato topping, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover in cold, salted water. Place pan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and boil for 25-30 minutes until cooked. Drain potatoes, and return to the pan. Add cream, butter, half the cheddar and nutmeg, and mash until smooth and creamy. Season to taste, and stir through the parsley and lemon zest.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a 2L-capacity baking dish add the lamb mixture and spoon over potato topping. Scatter with remaining 70g cheddar and bake for 40-45 minutes until crispy and golden on top.