Recipe from Cape Karoo International: Tersia de Wet Preparation Time : 20 minutes Cooking Time...
Ostrich steak with monkey gland sauce
Recipe from Cape Karoo International: Tersia de Wet
Preparation Time : 2 Hours Cooking Time : 42 Minutes Serves : 4
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Steak Medallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Season both sides of steak medallions lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge; keep at room temperature for another hour before cooking.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat until it starts to smoke.
- Pat steaks dry and brown for 3-7 minutes, depending on how you like it done.
- Remove the steaks and transfer to a platter.
- Cut into thin slices and serve immediately.
- Serve with monkey gland sauce or a sauce of your choice.
MONKEY GLAND SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, diced*
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed*
- ½ cup-water
- 410g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce*
- ¾ cup fruit chutney
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Heat oil in grill pan or heavy-based pot and sauté onions and garlic until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.